Sunday, September 11, 2005

9/11 - Where are we now?

I'm including this link to Michael Moore's latest open letter to George Bush. http://www.michaelmoore.com/words/message/index.php?id=185
I think there is a ton of truth in it. Many of you may have seen it already if you are on his emailing list.

I don't feel safer.
I went to Europe back in the 80's. Most of the trip was wonderful.
There was a little French pension, though, that wasn't wonderful. We were almost booked in, when the proprietor heard me whisper a question to my friend (she who was taught French by an Englishman). Suddenly there was no room.

I was brought up short by the 'Ugly American' syndrome.
I can not imagine what others must think of us now.

I have read blog posts since Katrina that let me know the depth of the international hearts for our people - for the families and individuals - who are affected by this disaster. And I've read the ones (and the news reports) that spoke of the offers of aid that sat waiting. Why was that, do you think? Waiting for what?

I still live in America. I have more opportunities here than most of the people in the rest of the world. I am delighted to live here and not in a country where I would be considered property and not worthy of education, etc. And even when I have to stretch the budget to pay for $3 gas, I still have a LOT more 'stuff' - more than others, more than I really need.

What concerns me is the culture that we have built in America (don't know enough about other places to comment on them). A culture of money and acquisition. The 'haves' are our successes; the 'have-nots' (or the 'have-less') are our failures. We bought into all of this and then went to sleep, or got lazy and stopped paying attention to what was happening to us in our governments at all levels.

So now we have what we have. And it's scary to me. And I bear some responsibility because I didn't fight the soporific of consumerism that put us all to sleep and messed up our values.
In case you haven't noticed, we no longer value honor, truth, charity, happiness, or freedom.
We reward division, greed, manipulation, etc.

I'm sad this morning. It's Sept. 11, 2005 and I think my country, as a nation, has taken some giant steps backwards. What a waste of talent, resources, lives...dreams...
We're left today to remember that disaster and the way our government came together - then we can turn on the TV and see what's happening in the South after Katrina.

Something's wrong, America. Something is really and truly wrong! And it's not about Republican vs Democrat, really. I think it is about a nation asleep while the wolves steal the country and pen up the sheep. And the world watches...

2 Comments:

At 10:07 PM, Blogger Jim H said...

Hi Kate, I agree, there is certainly something wrong, but not only with the USA, but with the whole world.
A friend and I were talking today about how it's impossible to buy anything, or get a service that hasn't all sorts of problems.
I could write a book on things that I've bought recently that ended up with all sorts of unexpected problems.
Today I went to the bank and asked them to transfer funds from my money market account to my checking account.
They took care of it, gave me the receipts and I came home.
Later I happened to go on line to check the accounts, and I had a negative balance.
I went back in and found they had accidentally transferred the funds out of the money market,---and back into the money market, leaving my checking account short of funds.
They did correct it, but if I hadn't found the mistake until much later, think of the mess I'd have to clean up.
This was just today’s example of the incompetence it seems is rapid today.
I didn't mean to rag on you about things like this, but I wonder if if others have the same problems?
Jim H

 
At 10:17 PM, Blogger Kate Winner said...

Have you ever read Daniel Quinn? He has a lot to say about competency and culture. Very interesting...might try My Ishmael.

Thanks for your thoughtful comment. I'm sure many are experiencing the same thing. I find that it pays to be utterly clear, and then read all the small print!
Good luck.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home