Thursday, December 01, 2005

Birds and...

Thanks for the comment Erin. I don't know from whence the little darlings come. I can't find them in my books and they have not returned. I consider that further evidence that they are, indeed, wanderers.

I didn't get great pictures; they were SO skittish. But here is what I got; maybe you will know them.

They came in a huge flock. Size is 6-8 inches... and are predominately very dark. Color shows most accurately in the upper photo.


And here are a few more little darlings who visit my feeders:




These three are (from top) a Junko (not sure if he is 'gray-headed' or 'yellow-eyed'), a Mexican Jay, and an Acorn Woodpecker. It's my first Acorn Wpkr. Cool!




And for a most unusual little bird.............


She must have been in the mood for grains that morning! Do you suppose a massage is next?


Hope you're having a lovely day!
:)

3 Comments:

At 12:24 PM, Blogger Erin said...

Hahhaa!
Great pictures, Kate!
That acorn woodpecker is gorgeous, huh? We saw some adorable little orange brested fat little somebodies in Ireland, but I need to get a better camera to catch them well.

Love the American rubber-necked deer shot, as well.
Cool shots! You made my day, really. It's cold and grey here.

 
At 11:06 AM, Blogger Laura said...

Great pics! Yeah, that woodpecker is gorgeous!
Looks to me like the mystery flock are starlings. They are all over the place here, along with grackles which everyone finds annoying but they are actually quite beautiful. Not black as much as irridescent when the sun is on them.
What a little piece of heaven you have!
We've got a few of those rubber necked deer here, also!

 
At 3:29 PM, Blogger Kate Winner said...

Yes, you may be right about the mystery birds being starlings. Seems odd that I've haven't seen them before or since...

And I think we may have had some variety of thrasher stop by. They are usually in the desert, but maybe they're hungry...and it's not so far away.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home