Friday, July 21, 2006

It's Hard to Come Back

...almost two full months since my last post... wherever have I been?
I'm not completely sure.

First, I'm just going to bring this up to date as to facts...

We've been to San Antonio. We liked it.
We had so many boxes around the house (inhibiting the viewing pleasure of (the so far nonexistent) prospective buyers, that we took a 6' X 12' trailer full of stuff to a storage unit down there.

That experience sent us running to the local moving company for estimates when we got home.
We thought we could move ourselves. You know, rent the truck, have some friends help load it - especially Steve who can pack more stuff in less space than even my Mom could do - then Joel drives that truck (hauling one car on a trailer), while I follow in the other car with the cat and our own small open trailer of any odds and ends...
...hhmmmm, then who is going to unload everything? Who's going to carry the refrigerator inside? OMG! What were we thinking of!?

Now, it's possible that Steve and Eden (no, NOT Steve & Edie) might go with us. And our realtor could probably find another muscle-y person or two to help...
Does this make more sense?
What do we consider? Cost? in dollars? in physical wear & tear? How about emotional wear & tear?

The movers estimate the move at $3500 if we do all the packing and they can get the 18-wheeler close to the house in San Antonio. If they can't get the truck close, then figure an extra $800.
It may all cost a little less if the move happens in the fall...when their busy season is over.
Prof. Movers = $3500 - 4300 = very little heavy lifting for either Joel or me.
U-Haul option = at least $2000 plus costs to feed and house the men = huge amounts of lifting/climbing.
U-Haul is our only self-moving option, and we hate them. Three times they have given away our 'reserved' trailer, this last time forcing us to make a 97 mile round trip to ANOTHER TOWN to pick one up! Makes me SO crazy!

I think we better plan on the professionals.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On Memorial Day our realtor hosted an Open House with advertising, balloons, treats, etc. and showed our house to ONE couple. Since that day, NO ONE has looked at it. (We've seen a few people drive by slowly...)
I'm of very mixed feelings about that. I'd rather make the move in Sept. or Oct., but I'm nervous about the house staying 'listed' that long. I'm mostly just nervous.
Here's the thing.....
.............wait, let's just stick to the facts for the moment...

We did bury St. Joseph (well, actually, a small statue of St. Joseph) in the garden last week.

The forest has finally reopened. I'm about to hit some of my favorite hiking trails. And I have a new friend anxious to learn more about the trails. That will be fun.

What have I been doing all this time? Well, nothing really. I've been covered up with dragons and to a large extent, I just let them climb all over me. I'll talk about that a little later on...

Joel is doing very well. There is still some pulling on the surgical sites and some recovery still to be done on the nerves in those areas, but her energy is way up, as well as her spirits. I'm the only one making her mildly crazy these days.

So we're basically set to go.
Committed to the move, and now committed to San Antonio, Texas. Amazing.

4 Comments:

At 1:54 AM, Blogger Erin said...

GET THE PROS

writes the nomadic woman with a long resumes of house-moves.

Never worth the trouble of doing it on your own and my math always comes out the sames as yours- in the end you don't save much throwing out all your favorite humans' backs.

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger Kate Winner said...

Decision made. Thanks for your vote!

 
At 5:54 PM, Blogger Kristie said...

Hey.........I've missed your posts and nice to see you back!

Just had myself a little giggle as you mentioned the word, "energy"! I was duly informed recently by a "Christian" women and writer, that the word "energy" is a New Age term and not Christian. I had to wonder then to myself, should the energy bars we buy state on the packaging, "Not For Christians" like it's an allergy attack warning or something?

What we are seeing is polarization magnified big time. I don't expect it to get better any time soon.

Enjoy your move and new surroundings.

I whole heartedly agree with you - the issues lately that we read and hear about, have mega-million spins on them. I am now using the phrase, "Are we on the same page"?
(In reference to your most recent post.)

No wonder we are at war most of the time. :-) Glad to hear Joel is doing better and keep writing - you've been missed.

K

 
At 10:39 AM, Blogger Kate Winner said...

Thanks, Kristi. It's good to be back.

But that 'christian' woman's comments don't seem funny to me; it feels like fundamentalist drivel designed to divide us (once again) into us & them. And I'll bet dollars to donuts that she heard it from some fearful, hatemongering 'christian' pulpit.

K

 

Post a Comment

<< Home