Sunday, February 12, 2006

Moving, Part 2 - Going Home Again...?

No, I think not.

I'm stereotypically Cancer, don't you know. Home is the place where I have built my nest and feel safe. That will happen in Lubbock when enough 'stuff' has been done. But it won't be 'home' in that going-back-to-it sense. Lubbock was home, in the sense that I could say I grew up there - got older there, actually.
I 'grew up' in Ruidoso; meaning that I continued the education started in college about who I am, what I value, etc. (And just so you know, the real education that I got during my college years had NOTHING to do with academics.)

Lubbock was home to some degree while my Mom was alive. And it is the home of my sister and my brother, and of all my aunts and uncles. But it's not HOME.

Most of that change happened when I 'came out'. (I really need to do a blogtrail on that subject, just for the record.)
You see, my family of origin is (mostly) Christian (more or less) fundamentalists. They are always polite, but only one or two have answered emails and only one aunt and my brother & sis have sought me out in the years since they discovered I am lesbian.
Sweet civility, but not Family.

Additionally, most of them are of a different political persuasion. We're just different nuts from the same tree. We do share many values. And much of what I am proud of myself for comes from those roots. So, yes, it's all family and still somehow not family. And it certainly won't be Home until I make it so.

Lubbock is familiar. And I like that.
It's laid out in a logical way: N/S & E/W - easy to find your way around even in most of the newer areas.
There is not much ethnic diversity and that's a shame...but I just can't see myself tackling a place like Chicago or LA at this stage in my life. And Lubbock DOES have 2 Thai restaurants and 1 really good Indian (east) one, and that's way ahead of Ruidoso.

There is also a community theater and a repertory company, plus all the stuff offered to the community by a BIG university.

And there are wide horizons and amazing sunsets!!! (There's one of Lbk in the 4th row.) It's flat. I never thought that would be a selling point. I used to gripe about that... :)

The economy is very stable and the medical options and facilities are top rate.

And I can get a brick, site-built house with 3/4 bedrooms, 2-car attached garage, a basement (for the tornadoes), plus fenced yard for the same money that I can sell my 'manufactured' home in Ruidoso!!! Just amazing!

Enough of this for now.....
It still seems like the right thing and I'm excited about a new house - a REAL house!

2 Comments:

At 5:27 PM, Blogger Kristie said...

With an average of 277 days of sunshine per year - now that caught my eye! We sometimes make it to 58 days of sun per year in Washington. Shaving the moss off my body is a daily ritual. I love to pull apart words and "Fundamentalist" jumped out. My IRIS sees in this word too much mental-lists and not enough Funda! :-) Lubbock - kcobbul - sounds good to me!

 
At 6:14 PM, Blogger Kristie said...

P.S. - I thought I should make it clear - it's Lubbock that claims 277 days of sunshine per year - if your commentators didn't go to the -Lubbock site - they might think I'm just pulling numbers out of thin air and smoking something peculiar! Actually, I'm drinking this Essentia purifed water enhanced by electrolytes - great water to help in assisting one back to an alkaline state. Cool site here on messages from water..
http://www.hado.net -
thought you might enjoy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home